Why I hate Money Belts (And Why You Shouldn’t Wear Them).

Gap Year Travel Essentials Review

Money belts are an almost ubiquitous piece of travel equipment, but I can’t stand them, never wear one and think they do very little to decrease the risk of becoming a victim or losing your important documents. Here’s why.

I really don’t understand the appeal of these little pouches. Okay, that’s not entirely true, I can understand from a logical perspective why travellers would want to keep their money and documents safe, but what I don’t get is their almost universal acceptance, as if they are some quintessential travellers safety blanket. Even trusted names in the travel world swear by them!

But they are all wrong. The travel pouch is so universally widespread now that they have lost their basic function, don’t help reduce your risk levels and add nothing to the travel experience.

The huge and unavoidable problem with these ridiculous canvas bum bags is that they are supposed to be hidden, they are supposed to be secret, they are supposed to hide all your money and important documents away in a place that no thief would even think to look!

Except from the little problem of the fact that they do look.

These things are so widespread now that every thief, pickpocket or mugger worth their salt knows that every tourist (and believe me they will have marked you out as a rich tourist) will probably have one of these and after emptying your pockets will definitely go looking for it, knowing that is where the jackpot is likely to be.

Not to mention the fact that fumbling around with one of these things if you ever need to get anything out of them is cumbersome and not exactly subtle and will absolutely mark you out as a tourist. This is anathema to one of the most basic pieces of travel safety advice of blending in.

So that kind of defeats the whole point.

And that just leaves you wandering around the tropics with a stinking, sweat soaked canvas bag rubbing against your skin and underpants. Not exactly the most comfortable of things.

Supporters of these uncomfortable extra pockets often come to the defence of their beloved sweaty travel safes with the declaration of the infamous neck pouch, the ones that can be hidden under your shirt instead of your waistline. Right, let’s just forget about the fact that you are handing a potential assailant a weapon with with to strangle you with. C’mon people!

Now to be fair, the principle of the money belt is absolutely sound. Hide your most valuable documents and assets on your person whilst you are travelling, no one can argue with that and as a principle I absolutely agree with it, but there are much better ways to do this than using one of these things now.

First of all it is never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. Have a whole ton of secret stashes around your person and even in your daypac to spread out your money and important documents. That way if the worst does happen, you at least have a good chance of not losing everything.

There are a ton of clothes that have small secret pouches now that do the exact same job as these money belts but have the advantage of being much more subtle and spread out. Shirts have secret inner pockets with hidden zips that are perfect for passports, guys have secret pockets hidden inside boxer shorts that can fit a small amount of folded up cash in and ladies have specially made bras with the same function (although many padded bras with the padding removed does the same trick). These are secret pockets incorporated into clothes that you would naturally be wearing anyway and much less noticeable by any potential mugger, pickpocket or thief.

In all my years of travel I have never worn one of these security belts and I never will. The only advantage I can see to them is to wear one with a few old cards and small bills in to act as a decoy, but that really isn’t necessary and to be honest the comfort factor outweighs any benefit.

So if you are planning your gap year at the moment and are thinking about travel safety and security (which is always a good thing to do and completely commendable) then I wouldn’t be looking at a travel money belt to provide it.

So what about you? Do you agree or disagree? Do you swear by money belts or hate them as much as me? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below or on my Facebook or Twitter pages and please feel free to share it with any or all of the social media buttons. If you want to get more great backpacking tips, advice and inspiration, please subscribe to updates via email in the box to your right.

5 Easy Tricks To Avoid Being Robbed On Your Gap Year.

Basic Travel Safety Advice.

Gap Year Safety: The Ultimate Guide For Safely Travelling The World For Sale Now!

Solo Female Backpacker: Guide To Safely Travelling The World For Sale Now!

Solo Female Backpacker Safety Tips.

Solo MALE Backpacker Safety Tips.

The Reality Of Fear And The Truth About Travel Safety.

Travel Safety Advice. The Good, The Bad And The Downright Crazy.

Advertisements

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Travel Safety
13 comments on “Why I hate Money Belts (And Why You Shouldn’t Wear Them).
  1. Shandos says:

I must admit I tried one once, on a long ago trip to Vietnam, my first 3rd world country. But the pre-monsoonal heat (40C +!) and humidity quickly meant I ditched it. These days I wear a cross-body bag when out-and-about, usually in front of my body if that’s what all the local woman are also doing.

2. JB & Renee says:

I completely agree with you, though I can’t help but still wear one out of habit. 🙂 I just keep my money spread out in different places for some measure of security, especially against pickpockets.

3. Alex says:

I know where you are coming from, I don’t wear them either because they are so uncomfortable, but I have to admit I was always a little worried about keeping my stuff in my pockets or my small daypac. Thanks for the reassurance!

4. Theresa Boudreau says:

Hi There:

I’d be interested in finding clothes with secret pockets for my husband and I but I don’t recall ever seeing them. Can you tell me where to purchase or a brand name or…

I live in Toronto, Ontario.

Thanks, Theresa

• Hi Theresa, of course. I’m not endorsing any one brand over another here but there are quite a few options. Craghoppers have a really good range of clothes (actual belts with hidden zip pockets, shirts with secret passport pockets etc), Pacsafe do some belts, Clever Travel Companion are a good company with a whole range of clothes, Clothing Arts is another site that specialises in pickpocket proof clothes … There are tons out there, I hope this has given you enough to start off with. 🙂

5. Stacey says:

Perfect timing, I was just thinking of buying one of these too!

6. Jakartass says:

When visiting hot countries, go to a street tailor. They are much cheaper than any western tailors, and more to the point can offer a same day service for a small surcharge. Rather than buying ‘brand clothing’ before departing on lengthy travels, consider having clothes ‘made-to-measure’ or, once you arrive, adapting what you’ve packed, You’ll probably feel more comfortable.

Have button down flaps on shirt pockets, including the hidden inner ones, and small pockets inside the belt area of trousers for keeping the day’s ’emergency’ cash.

One other hint: in one of my back trouser pockets, which are buttoned, I keep a wodge of toilet paper, essential if I ever get caught short with Delhi belly while en route. If a pickpocket ever targets me, and it has happened, then that’s his loss.

BTW. When I did my round-the-world trip 30 years ago, I had a cloth belt as described for wearing under my shirt; documents were inside and protected in a plastic bag. For long journeys I now have a kangaroo pouch for my current book, tickets and anything I think I might need while in transit.

7. Khai says:

I have to agree.

Initially I thought that is is essential to have one if you are afraid you would lose something valuable, but this is just so true:

“that just leaves you wandering around the tropics with a stinking, sweat soaked canvas bag rubbing against your skin and underpants. Not exactly the most comfortable of things.” 😀