Dealing With Reverse Culture Shock After Your Gap Year.

Reverse culture shock refers to the experience of isolation, disorientation and struggle to readjust after you come back from your gap year, and it can hit you hard if you are not careful and should not be ignored or underestimated as it can lead to a lot of serious mental health problems. Here are some ways you can deal with the shock of returning home from your travels around the world.

And if you like what I am doing here then please feel free to head over to the channel on YouTube and hit those subscribe and thumbs up buttons, and as always you can still come and join in the conversation on social media too!

I am still working on new content, new styles and figuring out a new posting schedule for you tube that works, so the video content may be sporadic for now but stay tuned for a lot of new videos! And make sure you come by and let me know what you think and when you prefer the video content to go up!

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Travel Video
24 comments on “Dealing With Reverse Culture Shock After Your Gap Year.
  1. I love your videos, really wish you would do more of them! And especially on important topics like these, mental health is such an important topic and rarely gets talked about like it should do.

2. Kath says:

I’ve had reverse culture shock after my gap year ended. Life at home can seem so pointless afterward and you need to fill our life with something other than just work and catching up with friends. I’m planning my next trip as we speak!

3. Kieran O Neill says:

I have just returned home from over 6 months of travelling and I started to feel some of the things you talk about here so am taking your advice and am planning to do it all over again, except this time I plan on saving enough money to travel for at least a year. I think that alone has given me purpose and made the 9 to 5 work I am doing have some meaning, and that has helped focus everything again. Great video.

• Thanks Kieran, having that purpose genuinely does help,and also knowing that your adventure isn’t behind you and is certainly not over. That definitely makes the interlude of work worth it!

4. Erica says:

Thank you so much for this video! I have been dealing with this myself since we came back from 6 months in Thailand and Vietnam. I really appreciate this post. There are no easy answers but it does help to know you’re not alone.

5. Jenny says:

I never knew that reverse culture shock was an actual thing, never mind a thing with an actual name but I’ve felt it myself I just didn’t know what it was at the time. Its actually nice to find out I’m not the only one.

6. Maria says:

I find it so hard to relate to those at home after my (just over) gap year. My priorities have completely changed now and it seems like nothing has changed at home, everyone just cares about what is on Netflix or who is seeing who or work. Stuff that I just can’t get myself interested in any more.

7. Rachel says:

This so hits home. It took me weeks to semi readjust to being home after my gap year. I burst into tears when my plane took off. unbelievably grateful for the time and experiences I had but just did not want to face the fact they were over. Planning a new trip really helped

8. AlekZD says:

Something I never gave much thought, but you’re absolutely right!

9. Alex Jones says:

We were away for 2 years and returned home just a few months ago and you are so right, NOTHING at all had changed, same old same old, and it felt like we just didn’t fit in anymore.
    We tried our best, but after a few months home we’re planning to get back on the road – open ended!

10. Lisa says:

Wow what an amazing video, it is so true! Thank you for saying this, I honestly thought we were the only ones!

11. Alan says:

Amazing, mental health is such an important topic.

12. Phil says: